Tuesday 9 January 2018

London, Well, the First Few Days

Hello again everyone!

Sine my last post, I have said some very sad goodbyes to Kristjan and family, my other Danish friends, and, Denmark itself. On Saturday afternoon, I caught the train to just near Copenhagen, where I stayed with Cameron's host family, before we went to the airport the next morning. Of course, nothing went smoothly-I couldn't find my name on the check in machine under my booking number. I went to a help desk to get things sorted out, and everything was fine from there. There's a lot to be said for good, old-fashioned service from a human. It was a pretty uneventful flight to London, and we got through immigration and customs without any problems. Lise and Andy (the UK leaders looking after us) met us there, and we all got on the tube to BP House. That night, Felix (Victorian Venturer) and I went looking for a currency exchange, and found one in St. Pancras Station. We explored a little before going back to the hotel.
Yesterday (Monday), we walked to Kensington Palace and Gardens, and wandered around there for a while, before ending up in Hyde Park. Then, we went to Marble Arch, and down a little of Oxford Street. After that, we got a bus to Buckingham Palace. The Queen wasn't home, but we still had a good time looking at the buildings.
Then, we got cheap food from tesco for lunch, and went to Westminster Abbey. It was phenomenal. That is the only word for it. After the Abbey, Felix and I walked to Leicester Square, where three of us (me and two girls) bought tickets to Les Mis on Thursday. I am really excited for that.
Finally, before dinner, Felix and I walked for a few minutes to the London Transport Museum.
All the walking is really tiring.
 Today (Tuesday), me and Felix split off from the others, and went to the Tower of London, which was great (saw the crown jewels as well), and Tower Bridge (I went on the glass walkway!).
After that, we caught the DLR to Canary Wharf, and looked around there, and got a really cheap lunch. Next, we went south to Greenwich, the Maritime Museum, and the Royal Observatory. It was all really good, and the view from the observatory was incredible.
We then caught a bus to the Imperial War Museum. It really showcased the history of World Wars One and Two. There was a whole floor dedicated to the Holocaust, but I have no words to describe it. We didn't finish it because the museum was closing for the night.
For dinner, we had cheap Indian that was actually really nice.

That's all for now, I'll update in a few days, and all the photos will eventually be uploaded once I'm back in Australia.

Bye for now,

Jack R.

1 comment:

  1. Hello nephew! All I can say is you really know how to London! Glad you are having such a great time, and thanks for keeping us up to date.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete