Thursday 4 January 2018

Scout Scoop, and New Friends

Hello everyone,
Two days ago, I got back from scout scoop. It was heaps of fun. Even better, the camp was harry potter themed!
 I'll start with day one-Wednesday the 27th.
We all met outside Kolding station at noon, and played games until everything was ready for us to go. We had a sort of scavenger hunt around the town, where we had to find certain places, and send photos of them to the leaders. Next, we started to walk to the scout centre. We bought food to cook on the way, and had to camp at a random house. It was a bit of a surprise to do this, because it would never be allowed in Australia. My patrol slept in a garage for the night.
Now, Thursday:

We arrived at the Scout Centre around 9.30, had a tour, and got settled in. Lunch set the theme for the next few days, with vegan food (I found out later that some of the meat had gone bad). After lunch, we had activities, which I can't remember much of, but the session was called 'missing the point of life.' It involved doing completely useless things, like tying knots with our feet, and someone else's hands. Next, we had dinner (more vegan food), and a harry potter themed campfire (amazing!) with skits, games, and entertainment, followed by workshops. I chose a workshop with the Finnish leader, Satu, where we learnt how to do some Finnish needle felting (I chose it not only because it sounded fun, but because it was inside-in the warm!). Thoroughly exhausted, I went to sleep afterwards.

Friday:
It was an early morning (7.00), and we were woken by music blaring from speakers. We played games in the yard until breakfast was ready.  After breakfast, we reported ready (all the patrols line up, each has a 'yell') and got organised for cooking lunch. The eight patrols were combined into 4, and each was given an area of the world to cook food from. The areas were: America, Asia, Scandinavia, and one more I can't remember. It was great fun, although it was could, because there was a breeze coming off the water. The best part was, we ate all the food for lunch.
After lunch, we had two workshops. The first one I did was an Australian workshop, and the second was axe-throwing. The Aussie one was great, I got to watch people taste Vegemite, and eat ANZAC biscuits. Axe-throwing was amazing as well. For half the time, all I could think of was the risk assessment you'd need to do that in scouts at home!
The workshops took up a lot of time, and, before we knew it, it was time for dinner. Hallelujah! It wasn't vegan.
After dinner, we watched the first Hunger Games movie. Outside. In our sleeping bags. In the freezing cold. I enjoyed the movie, but I couldn't feel my face afterwards. When the movie was done, I went straight to sleep. Scout camps, as any Scout will tell you, are very tiring.

Saturday:
We were woken early, by music again, and played games in the yard until breakfast. In the morning, we had an activity called 'hunger or games?' It had different, hunger games themed activities that we did in patrols, and a winner was announced at the end. I will definitely use something similar for my scouts.
Then, it was lunch, with much better, non-vegan food.
After lunch, we played a sort of olympic games, and each of our teams was named after a European scout centre (why doesn't Australia have more scout centres?). There were lots of random games-it was a lot of fun.
After that, it was dinner, which was pretty good, but I can't remember what we had. Then, we did an activity called '100m of activities.' There was a rope set up, roughly 100m long, and it had 75 activities tied to it on little bits of paper. They were completely random, like 'solve this code,' or 'do 40 star jumps,' or 'tie this knot.' There were tables set up to keep score. It was a lot of fun, even though it was raining (as usual-typical Danish weather), and really cold. After that, it was another workshop period, and I chose music, like all the music people did. We had boom-whackers (plastic tubes tuned to a note), and the more musical people went away and played star wars. Then, exhausted, I went to sleep.

Sunday, the last day of the year!:
Honestly, by now, I couldn't believe how quickly the year had gone. Right, so, Sunday. They let us sleep in (Hurrah!), before waking us up, and dividing us into groups for decorating, entertainment, and kitchen, for the new years party preparation. I was in the kitchen group, so I spent the day cooking harry potter themed food, and talking to my friends. It really is amazing that, no matter where you are in the world, if you meet a fellow scout, you are basically instant best friends. I love the sense of friendship that exists in the organisation. Of course, the whole point of Scout Scoop was to make new, international friends, and to have a great time, which we all did.
The new years party finally came around, and everyone reported ready in their Harry Potter costumes. We then went inside to watch the Queen's speech, and the International scouts had a live translation from the Danish subtitles. It was pretty good, she talked about the same sort of things as Elizabeth does in her Christmas message. After the speech, we were sorted into our houses (I was Gryffindor), and sat at our house tables in the Gilwell Hut. There were skits, sing alongs, quizzes, games, and, of course, the food that we cooked earlier. Everything was great, especially the cream cake we had for dessert!
When 11.30 came around, everyone gathered at the projector to watch a comedy skit from the 1930s called 'Dinner for One' (apparently a Danish tradition to watch it?), and then watched the countdown live from Copenhagen. At midnight, everyone joined in singing some Danish traditional songs, and then the national anthem (even me, it was subtitled, and I can always carry a tune), before going down to the water to watch the fireworks from about eight different towns. It was absolutely beautiful. Before we watched the fireworks, I got together all the people who knew Auld Lang Syne, and sang it at the top of our voices.
I ended up sleeping at 1.30, just so I could survive the next, and last day of the camp.

On Monday, they woke us around 8, and got started with cleaning. They said we had 10 minutes to get our own bags packed and outside, and boy was I glad I'd packed on Sunday. My patrol had to clean the eating building. After all the cleaning was done, we got photos, and it was time to say goodbye. It was very sad, as I made lots of new, amazing friends, who I won't see again for a few years.
We were bused to Fredericia, and dropped off at the train station for the ride home. It was all very sad, and tiring.
When we got home to Randers, I ate, then slept.
The next day was the last day of the holidays, so I just relaxed, and started to pack my things, because I leave Denmark on Sunday.
Yesterday and today, I've been at school, talking to friends, and watching netflix. I've bought the last of the presents I need for everyone back home, and I am getting all my packing in order.
I will be very sad to leave Denmark on Sunday.
Now, very sorry for the long post, but there was a lot of stuff to talk about. Tomorrow, I'll post as many photos as possible, and, on Saturday, before I get the train to Copenhagen, I'll write one more post about Denmark. I'll probably be crying by then.
On that happy thought, happy new year, and bye for now.

Jack Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment